I am not sure how old I was when my mom told me about my parent’s arranged marriage, but I’ve loved the story ever since I was a child. Arranged marriages are customary in Cambodia. Parents consulted match makers and even astrologers to find the most suitable match for their sons and daughters. Often the match was economically or politically beneficial to the families involved. Sons typically had a say in whether or not they agreed to the match. Daughters usually agreed to please their parents and future in law's. A girl that refused an arranged marriage would be labeled as difficult and even ungrateful. Therefore, more often than not, the daughter would say yes to the match. The hope for an arranged marriage is that the couple respectfully co-exist as partners. If they learned to like each other that was a blessing, and if like turned into love that was a miracle and the match maker would boast about that for their entire career. The tradition and culture around arranged marriages...
I went out for a catch up lunch with two of my mommy buds. One of the mom's and I are still breastfeeding, either because we're wimps, or martyrs, I haven't decided which yet. The bi-product of breastfeeding beyond a year, is that I'm skinny now, and I don't really work out. Of course I'm totally weak, and useless too. I can't open a jar of pickles to save my life. I talked about how even though I can fit into my size 25 jeans, I'm not feeling shit hot. My other non-breastfeeding mommy bud told me to shut the fuck up.
Hubby's mom recently gave us a bottle of Fairy Mist. It's an Aromatherapy spray that is supposed to calm baby's down. I spray the living room in the evenings with it, before Eloise goes to bed. If she's cranky, I'll spray a couple of mists around her. It seems to work. The directions read; From deep within the garden, the Aroma Fairies have gathered this delightful blend to gently calm and soothe children of all ages. Spray mist above your child's head. One day, when Eloise was super upset, crying, crawling away from me, then crawling back to me wanting to be picked up, then pushing me away because she really didn't want to be picked up, Hubby asked how he could help. I said, "Grab the fairy mist." He came into the room, spray head pointed right at Eloise's face, ready to pull the triger. Before he could I yelled, "You're not going to spray it at her face, are you?" He paused. He totally was going to spray her in the fac...
Comments