2012 Shopping Diet

By posting about it on this blog, I hereby commit to a 2012 Shopping Diet.

Here's the deal. I have a shit load of clothes. So many that I always feel the need to purge items. However, every time I purge, I rationalize that I can buy something new, since there is now more room in my closet, or dresser. So it's a stupid cycle of clearing my clutter, adding more shit, clearing more, adding more. I'm stopping that right now.

Why? Why not? I've been playing with the idea doing a wardrobe challenge for a few weeks now. Maybe something like a Capsule Challenge, like my friend Shelia did. She only had 5 pieces of clothing to wear for 7 days. Then I thought, go big, or go home. "Aim for the moon, even if you miss you end up in the stars". I've been really digging that quote lately. So that's what I'm going to do. Realistically if I can make it until Summer 2012 I'll feel really good. My goal is to actually get more creative with my current closet. If I happen to save some money doing it, that's just gravy.

The Rules
No purchasing of new clothing items allowed (with the exception of underwear and hosiery).
Thrifted items allowed but with a max of $20 per day.
Shopping can only happen on a Saturday.
Clothing swaps allowed but enter with caution.

I'm sure I will add more rules as I go. I'd like to disclose that I bought some last minute items before publishing this post. Don't worry, I didn't buy them to create an outfit. They are simply pieces I felt necessary for my wardrobe. Hell's yeah, sequin pants are necessary.
Recent Purchases

Comments

Sheila said…
How is your wardrobe diet going, Kim?

Thanks for the shout-out! I am contemplating doing a year of 30 for 30 (30 items, including shoes, but not accessories, for 30 days). It can really stimulate your creativity with your outfits!
Kim said…
So far so good Sheila. It's the end of the month and I've made no purchases. I like the 30 items for 30 days plan. Maybe I'll join you!

Popular posts from this blog

Things I Don't Miss About Being Pregnant

Yao Hon

What Do I and Elderly Fat Men Have in Common...