Why You Need An Image Consultant

A few months ago I hired an Image Consultant. Those of you that know me in real life are probably thinking what the hell? I know, I know, I'm into fashion, I went to design school, and I dress pretty well, why did I hire an Image Consultant?

Well, truth be told I felt like I needed to up my professional game a little. I was hired at my company when I was twenty one, and sometimes I think some of the execs still see me as a twenty one year old. Even though I'm thirty now, a mother now, and have successfully managed crucial parts of our business.

Prior to our first session Katherine, the image consultant, had me fill out a dozen personality surveys. Then we had a two hour discussion about the results of the survey. A huge light bulb went off when I realized all the things I wrote down on paper weren't actually the things I wanted at all. Katherine pointed out that on paper I wanted to fit in, go unnoticed. But the things that I was passionate about, my goals, my dreams, they were loud. I want to be noticed. Not for the having a super professional career, but for being me. I'm not a suit, and after this exercise I was OK with that.

The goal of hiring an consultant was to polish up my appearance, look more professional, and be more serious. The goal was stand in the manager meetings and feel like a key player. The result, was looking inside, and loving myself for who I was. I'm smart, caring, and compassionate. I value my relationships with my staff, and with my suppliers. I'm honest, and trustworthy. I don't need to be in a suit to have people respect me. They already do. And for those that don't, it's none of my business why.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I Don't Miss About Being Pregnant

Yao Hon

What Do I and Elderly Fat Men Have in Common...