Top 10 Things I Accomplished This Year

So long 2010, it’s been swell. I had a pretty great year. Developing minor arthritis sucked, but I found a really great homeopath, and have managed to live pretty normally with it, and without taking any drugs. Arthritis aside, these are my top accomplishments. 

I went back to work!

It’s a big deal. It meant leaving my 1 year old for over 8 hours a day and trusting my sister/nanny to raise her to be a smart healthy toddler, which she is. Thanks Nika!

I Bought A House

After ten years of renting in Vancouver, we bought a house, out in freakin’ Coquitlam, but I love it. Love the space, love the yard, love the trees in the back, love that I rarely see my neighbors. And especially love that it’s mine.

Went to 5 Weddings

Yes I count this as a huge accomplishment. Weddings are exhausting. And when you’ve got a 1 and half year old that doesn’t sit still, it’s even tougher. We made it though, ate great food, and watched our friends make beautiful commitments to each other. 

Taught my daughter to count to 10

Nanny probably helped a lot with this, but since Elle is my daughter I will take full credit for everything that she does, for better or for worse. She counted to 10 on her own before she was two. That’s a big deal.

Taught my daughter Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

Ok another Nanny accomplishment, but I picked the nanny so again full credit to me. It’s even cuter when Elle is trying to sleep and she breaks into Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to try to soothe herself to sleep.

Had lots of fun with my husband
 
I don’t need to say what kind of fun, but we had lots of it.

Went to Miami Bitch

I guess went to Miami with an almost two year old was the accomplishment. We survived 4 plane rides, half a dozen restaurants and boutiques with an ants in her pants toddler. All she wanted to do was run away and hide from us. Perhaps she’s telling us something.

Started working out

A very big deal because I don’t work out. I’m blessed with a good metabolism but I really needed to develop more muscle mass to continue functioning, hence arthritis development. I took it on hard core by signing up for my friend Hannah’s Fit Jam class. She kicked my ass every Sunday for 6 weeks. I hated her at the beginning of class all perky, and bouncy, full of encouragement as I huffed, and puffed trying to get through the cardio warm-up.  But as I felt my arms, and legs get stronger, and stronger by the end of class she was my friend again.

Carpooled

Not everyone can carpool.  I did it with my sister. How we survived, we listened to music the whole drive. If you have to carpool, do it with someone that doesn’t want to talk to you either. 

Spent time with my friends 

As a woman on mat leave in 2009, I really wanted to stay close to my pals, so I made sure I connected with friends at least a once a month. It’s hard to do because life moves so fast, and sometimes a month goes by, and I hadn’t seen anyone. Friendships are valuable to me, and making time for them is super important. 

Though, under horrible circumstances I am so thankful that I was able to spend time with my friend Jodie, whose mom passed away from cancer this summer. It’s situations like these where all the coffee dates, shopping trips, and dinners out that happened before and after really count. Sometimes I think we only hook up with friends during dire times. It’s being with them through the happy times too that make getting through the heavy stuff easier. 

So that’s my list. I feel really full and thankful for this year. It was a big deal, and I  think 2011 is gonna be even better. What’s your top accomplishment? What are you proud of this past year?  

Comments

Sheila said…
That's an awesome list, Kim! I love the "Miami Bitch" part, of course. What a fab time, and getting to hang with you and El and Spence really made it special.

Here's to to 2011!

Popular posts from this blog

Things I Don't Miss About Being Pregnant

Yao Hon

She Looks Like Me Too!